Saturday, January 19, 2008

What is a "bad feeling" ?

I am driving a 1.9 litre, 90 bhp, 4 cylinder inline, turbocharged diesel at approximately 180 kmph @ 4000 rpm and suddenly a slow moving bus pulls onto the road in front of me.

I am pissed because I like to drive and drive fast. Now I have to slow down. Bad feeling. It gets better. Wait for it.

This car weighs about 1.3 tonnes. 1.3 tonnes when barrelling down the road at 180 kmph has a shit load of momentum going for it. I need a fair bit of stopping power to slow down let alone stop. This car doesn't have Anti Lock Braking. Neither does it have Electronic Brake Distribution. Nor does it have Air Bags. It has seat belts, but being the stud that I am, I am not wearing them.

Given this bit of information, I put my foot on the brake pedal and push down hard. It feels like I stepped on a banana peel. I can feel the disc brakes on the front wheels trying to stop the wheels from spinning, the operative word there being - "trying". I can feel the drum brakes on the rear wheels literally sliding off the wheels, fighting to create some sort of friction.

This is not my imagination. I felt the brake pedal pulse beneath my feet and there are only a limited number of known causes which will have that effect.

I know I am getting close to the bus, but I don't seem to be going any slower.

Since I am here recounting my experience it is obvious that I managed to make it out of that situation alive. You know how people say, when faced with near death situations, your life flashes before your eyes in slow motion.

Trust me, at 180 kmph nothing happens in slow motion. There's no time for slow motion.

Now, that is pretty much as bad as a feeling can possibly get.

No comments: