Friday, August 15, 2008

Death of a symbol

Symbols are meant to represent something: something special. Over the past few weeks I have witnessed two of the most famous symbols in the world being abused like it's nobodies business. My heart bleeds I tell you.





The Prancing Horse. Anyone who owns a car will know what this stands for. Actually anyone who knows anything about cars will know what this stands for. What the hell, ask anyone and they will tell you what this stands for.

You think prancing horse, you invariably think Ferrari, you think Modenna, you think Micheal Schumacher - all legendary names. The recall associated with the prancing horse cannot be mistaken for anything else, not by any stretch of imagination.






The first one is a Ferrari 360 Modena - after a brief slump, it was the Modena that really put Ferrari back on the map. This is most driveable Ferrari of all times and the dream car of every Ferrari fan: arguably Ferrari's best ever: perfection personified.

The second one is a Ferrari Enzo - the fastest production car that Ferrari has ever made. Its in the same class as the Mclaren Mercedes SLR and the Porsche Carrera GT.

Just look at them. Such distinction.

Yet, I have seen this symbol in the most inappropriate places one can think of. I will not attempt to list all of them, but one of them was the worst. The other day I was at the petrol station with a friend, waiting in line for our turn. A Maruti 800 pulled up right next to us. The ass who was driving that piece of shit car had a cheap sticker of the prancing horse stuck on the lid of the petrol tank on his car.

After a really long time, I was so tempted to kill another human being. I feel like beating up people all the time, but I seldom feel like killing someone. Some people have the innate capacity to bring out the worst in me.

Prancing horse sticker on a Maruti 800. That too on the lid of the petrol tank. I am so glad Enzo Ferrari didn't live long enough to see this. Just when I thought this is about as bad as it can get, I was proven wrong - convincingly, might I add.




There may be a few people who might not know what the prancing horse is, but there possibly cannot be anyone who doesn't know what the tri-star stands for. One of the most recognisable names in automobile history, Mercedes Benz, has an image that sets it apart in a league of its own. There is a certain character, a certain legacy, an air of class that the name brings with it. You think Mecedes Benz and immediately you think S class, you think Mclaren Mercedes SLR, you think AMG, you think the Black series, you think Brabus S biturdo roadster.

I was actually thinking of putting in the picture of a Brabus S biturbo here, but then I found this.



If you are a petrol head, trust me, this is worth your time. Take 10 mins and watch the video. I swear you will not be disappointed.

But, when you put that tri-star on the bonnet of an Ambassador it kinda feels a little out of place. I saw this and I was at a complete loss for words. Its been three days now and I am still unable to articulate my feelings in a coherent manner. All attempts seem to end in a barrage of abuse aimed at the Ambassador driver's mother.

I am so sad. I am so angry. Since any and all actions I have in mind are illegal, please can somebody do something about this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He he he............he he he.......