Friday, October 5, 2007

I found the connection

Ockham's Razor

The most cited version of the Razor as found in Ockham's work is Plurality ought never be posed without necessity.

This is a principle attributed to the 14th century English logician and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham.

Paraphrasing, the razor sounds something like, "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the right one". To be a little more practical, when there are multiple theories competing to explain a phenomenon the theory which contains the least number of assumptions should be chosen.

As I have mentioned in one of my previous posts (Yes or No, Right or Wrong), This is the Simplicity of True Genius at work. I didn't know what it was called then. I do now.

Try this if you want to know more.

No comments: