Sunday, September 16, 2007

What if ......

your alter ego is of the opposite sex ? Does that person become your soul mate ? Me being a he, my alter ego will henceforth be referred to as she.

She should complete me. Isn't that what conventional wisdom is all about - the completely overrated concept of equillibrium ? If she is everything I am not, the two of us would be made for each other. What is she ? The absence of every trait that makes me, me ?

Lets see now, we'll never like the same things. We'll never agree on anything. All life would be a compromise. This is like Game theory. One person's loss becomes another person's gain. A perfect zero sum game. My misery becomes her happiness and vice versa.

Do opposites really attract ?

Beneath the glossy veneer of this irrationally romantic illusion lies the harsh reality that most people tend to comfortably ignore.

She wont complete me. She will end up pissing me off and i'll end up returning the favour. Not neccessarily in that order.

If she is perfect, just to reinforce my initial assumption - she is my alter ego and not a person, (it's really easy for people to get carried away with this line, so i'm being just a little cautious) as in she is everything I am not - I can never love her, but given the right circumstance(s) I can come to hate her.

Life with her will always be like Game theory, but it should never be a perfect zero sum game. All her misery should not become my happiness or vice versa.

If a little of her misery becomes a lot of my happiness AND a little of my misery becomes a lot of her happiness, now that is a she, I will definitely be interested in. For this to happen, she should never be perfect.

She should never be everything I am.
She should never be everything I am not.
She should always be something I am and something I am not.

Who is she ??

2 comments:

rekhs said...

have u hrd 2 songs one by paula abdul opp attract and the other lobo's love me for what i am?...just curious...:)

Sowji said...

as a matter of fact i haven't. now that you mention it i will.